7.17.2013

Twice Baked Potato Skins

We'd been talking about potato skins.  I started craving them.  But, between you and I, I've always been a bit perplexed about the discarded carved out potato.  It just seemed wasteful.  So then I started thinking about twice-baked potatoes.  And then "ding" it came to me...TWICE-BAKED POTATO SKINS!!!  Holla!  I'm sure I'm not the only to think of this, but thought you might enjoy my recipe regardless.  


Twice-Baked Potato Skins
  • Potatoes - Use whatever you have.  I had a bag of Yukon Golds
  • Oil - Enough to rub the outside of the potatoes
  • 1/4 cup (give or take) sour cream
  • 1/8 - 1/4 cup of milk
  • Butter - the more the better.  Seriously.
  • Grated Cheese - enough to sprinkle on the assembled potato skins.  I used a mix of cheddar & jack.
  • Parmesan Cheese - as much or as little as you want.  I used the grated stuff.
  • Salt & Pepper - to your taste.
  • Garlic - 1 clove crushed and grated.
  • Green Onions or chives.  Whatever you have on hand.
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Rub outside of the potatoes with oil and bake until the skins are crispy and they are tender.
  3. Let potatoes cool and cut in half.  Scoop out the insides and save.  Leave enough of a "potato border" so the skin is sturdy.
  4. In a bowl, mix together the potato insides, sour cream, milk, butter, p-cheese, salt, pepper and garlic.
  5. Scoop the mashed mix into the potato skins, top with grated cheese and bake until bubbly golden, melty and delicious.
  6. Sprinkle with green onions or chives.  Oh, I also added a little dollop of sour cream when served.

Variations, Add-Ins, Spin-offs...
  • Bacon of course.  Duh.
  • Sauteed mushrooms & Swiss cheese.
  • Sauteed green chiles and queso fresco or cotija for that extra kick.
  • Caramelized onions.
  • Anything really.

No comments:

Post a Comment