1.04.2012

Welcome to the Barnyard

We have goats!

We welcomed our first barnyard beauties to Serendipity the day before Christmas Eve.  The kids (and me too!) were so excited.  Greg's uncle brought them for the kids.  They are just adorable.  SugarPlum is the smaller of the two and was pretty skittish, but she is warming up to me.  The other day she escaped her pen and I was trying to "round her up" as Greg would say.  Really, it was me darting back and forth trying to persuade to jump back to where she belonged.  Greg asked, "Why don't you just grab her?"  Oh, duh.  That really didn't dawn on me.  I've never wrangled goats before!  So, I grabbed her and scooped her up and she went limp in my arms and...for real...started cuddling.  At least that is what I think.  She nuzzled her head against my chest and let me pet her for about 5 minutes.  Now when I go out to feed her, she talks to me, comes right up to me and follows me around.  When I feed them, she jumps in the trough and lets me pet her the entire time.  Bessie on the other hand is sassy and wants nothing to do with any of us still.  She's better than the first night, but is still in flight mode whenever we get too close.

My Junior Mint got his first head butt by the goat which in turn ended with him face flat in the dirt.  His eyes were as big as saucers.  After making sure he was fine, I just about died laughing.  That will teach him to get too close.  Goats 1 - Baby Greg 0.

As for the names, those were all Penelope.  At first we just knew we were getting two goats, but we didn't know the sex.  So, obviously you get her choice for female names, but if they would've been boys, they would've been Carlos and Lightning.  Right on Peeps. 

I can't wait to add more creatures to our barnyard brood.  Thinking maybe a couple more goats, maybe a sheep, a cow, and a mini donkey for sure!  I'd have whole zoo if Greg would let me!



 
Olivia

1 comment:

  1. Susan M1/04/2012

    I love it! We had a goat growing up, with pigs, chickens and cows! I miss it!! I have been thinking about a goat or chickens, I would love to make goats milk soaps and lotions!!! Have fun! As for the names, ours was Pea Pod, and he was a boy!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete